Updated on 19 July 2012
The staggering healthcare costs attributed to stroke and loss of productivity in stroke patients has created an urgent need for serious attention
Tocomin is a natural full spectrum tocotrienol complex concentrated from crude virgin palm oil (derived from the flesh of oil palm fruit) through a patented extraction process. It contains predominantly tocotrienols (alpha, beta, gamma and delta-tocotrienol) and also other phytonutrients such as tocopherol, plant squalene, phytosterols, co-enzyme Q10 and mixed carotenoids that are naturally extracted together with tocotrienols.
As with any fat-soluble vitamins or compounds, the oral absorption of tocotrienol is low and erratic. Its absorption also depends on the type and amount of dietary fats that are present. Absorption of tocotrienols can be improved by incorporating a self-emulsifying delivery system such as the SupraBio system (Tocomin SupraBio, a Carotech product). This patented and bioenhanced oral delivery system provides rapid, more consistent and enhanced oral absorption of tocotrienols independent of dietary fat or food intake. Comparative bioavailability study on healthy human volunteers confirmed the efficacy of the SupraBio system, which increased the rate and extent of tocotrienol absorption by an average of 250 percent.
There are broadly two types of stroke, ischemic stroke and hemorrhagic stroke. Ischemic stroke is the more common type of stroke, accounting for 87 percent of all stroke events, while hemorrhagic stroke accounts for the remaining 13 percent.
Ischemic stroke is caused by blockage in brain vessels, leading to insufficient blood supply to parts of brain. On the other hand, hemorrhagic stroke is caused by rupturing of blood vessels, leading to bleeding in the brain and is often associated with severe outcomes.