Updated on 20 May 2016
Twenty-two Japanese life science companies and research institutions will exhibit in the Japan Pavilion (Booth 5514) at the 2016 BIO International Convention, scheduled to take place from June 6th to 9th, 2016 at the Moscone Center in San Francisco.
The Japan External Trade Organization (JETRO), Japan's official economic development agency, is the lead organizer of the Japan Pavilion.
The annual BIO Convention, organized by the Biotechnology Innovation Organization, is the largest event for the biotechnology sector. Organizers expect more than 15,000 attendees from all over the world to participate in BIO 2016. The event covers a wide spectrum of life science and application areas including drug discovery, biomanufacturing, genomics, biofuels, nanotechnology and cell therapy.
The press release explained that the exhibitors in the Japan Pavilion represent some of Japan's most advanced biotechnology and life science companies. Eight of Japan's leading research universities and institutes will also participate. Key technologies to be exhibited at BIO 2016 include new treatments for oncology, pain management, cognitive and neurological disorders; advancements in regenerative medicine; drug discovery tools; contract manufacturing; and R&D.
Six of the companies will be exhibiting in the Japan Pavilion for the first time:
• Hamamatsu Pharma Research Inc, a contract research organization providing NHP testing as well as pharmaceutical drug development
• Nippon Chemiphar Co Ltd, a manufacturer of generic pharmaceuticals as well as proprietary drugs for treating hyperuricemia and inflammation
• Glycotechnica Ltd, which focuses on glycan structure analysis and related applications
• Okinawa Protein Tomography Ltd, a biotech company that aims to innovate the protein molecular structural analysis procedure without the crystallization process
• Itochu Chemical Frontier Corp, a manufacturer of functional materials, pharmaceutical products and raw materials
• Gene Techno Science Co Ltd, a drug discovery company specializing in biologics and biosimilars