Updated on 6 January 2015
WHO said that 678 healthcare workers had contracted the virus of whom 382 died
Singapore: Though it's been close to a year now since the first case of Ebola was reported in West Africa, the deadly virus is still making headlines. The World Health Organization has reported 8153 deaths among 20,656 known cases in the three countries scrambling with the outbreak.
Most of the deaths were recorded in the three countries afflicted with the outbreak. Elsewhere, six people have died in Mali, one in the US and eight in Nigeria. Last week, Britain reported its first confirmed case of Ebola in a nurse recently returned from Sierra Leone. The woman was on Monday said to be in a critical but stable condition. The WHO said in a statement that as of December 28, 678 healthcare workers had contracted the virus of whom 382 died.
With no new cases being reported from Mali, the US said that there would be no screening for passengers from Mali. "Travelers from Mali will no longer be required to undergo enhanced screening and monitoring when entering the United States, nor will they be required to enter the country through the five designated airpots that perform this screening," said the Center for Disease Control and Prevention, US.